What you've been looking for all along...
 
HomeFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog inCalendar

Share | 
 

 Welcome to Martin's LAIR!

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
triforcelink

avatar

Posts : 212
Join date : 2009-02-23
Location : New York

PostSubject: Welcome to Martin's LAIR!   Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:33 am

Hopefully i will post most of my random ranting in here, things that might not fit out there yet.

Anyone interested in artificial intelligence? Is it possible to have a computer that is as "smart" as a human being?

What makes something conscious? are we really self aware?

When we say "as smart as a human being" were not referring to a specific age, i think were really looking at the potential of a human being, becoming good at something, collaborating with others to reach greater goals... these goals are based on a predicted future image


Last edited by triforcelink on Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:48 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Eli
Admin
avatar

Posts : 88
Join date : 2008-11-29
Age : 30
Location : New York

PostSubject: Re: Welcome to Martin's LAIR!   Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:23 am

You can't have artificial intelligence because no matter what, a non-organism is always going to follow a set of instructions. The difference is that humans provide within themselves their own instructions from an interior source, where as something artificial things, such as machines, are provided with instructions from an exterior source.

I think that if you believe that intelligence can be created, you allow the possibility of a higher intelligence creating it. And therein lies the problem... what created the higher intelligence? There is no evidence to support the possibility of artificial intelligence... only things that mock how human intelligence functions, simply because they're created by humans and given a set of instructions by a higher intelligence.

An issue I have with this is that intelligence as we know it has evolved over billions of years, according to the theory of evolution, and life forms were existant in order to allow for something like intelligence to arise within them. Life is said to have begun on this plant through a theory called abiogenesis, and this is completely separate from evolution.

I think my biggest problem with this is that I see human intelligence as extremely limited, because I don't know what it would be like to live in a world where artificial intelligence is possible, and neither does anyone else. It is something that is currently left up to the imagination, so there's no conclusive science regarding artifical intelligence that I'm currently aware of.

I do think that it might be possible for other intelligence to exist, however, because we exist. I just don't think we'd be around to see it, considering it would take ages to arise according to the evolutionary theory, to which we have no other theory other than "god did it", which is so obviously flawed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://thelostuniverse.forumotion.net
triforcelink

avatar

Posts : 212
Join date : 2009-02-23
Location : New York

PostSubject: Re: Welcome to Martin's LAIR!   Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:16 am

Eli wrote:
You can't have artificial intelligence because no matter what, a non-organism is always going to follow a set of instructions. The difference is that humans provide within themselves their own instructions from an interior source, where as something artificial things, such as machines, are provided with instructions from an exterior source.

I think that if you believe that intelligence can be created, you allow the possibility of a higher intelligence creating it. And therein lies the problem... what created the higher intelligence? There is no evidence to support the possibility of artificial intelligence... only things that mock how human intelligence functions, simply because they're created by humans and given a set of instructions by a higher intelligence.

An issue I have with this is that intelligence as we know it has evolved over billions of years, according to the theory of evolution, and life forms were existant in order to allow for something like intelligence to arise within them. Life is said to have begun on this plant through a theory called abiogenesis, and this is completely separate from evolution.

I think my biggest problem with this is that I see human intelligence as extremely limited, because I don't know what it would be like to live in a world where artificial intelligence is possible, and neither does anyone else. It is something that is currently left up to the imagination, so there's no conclusive science regarding artifical intelligence that I'm currently aware of.

I do think that it might be possible for other intelligence to exist, however, because we exist. I just don't think we'd be around to see it, considering it would take ages to arise according to the evolutionary theory, to which we have no other theory other than "god did it", which is so obviously flawed.

Our intelligence maybe the cause of evolution, which is a very slow process by our standards, but i also believe that part of this human intelligence follows a system, a rule-set if you will, we follow certain rules for survival (individual and species), like eating and reproduction, and another part which is purely for learning, this part can learn its own rules and make necessary change to what we inherit, like overcoming the urge to just start humping random people <_<

I also by large part believe that much of our "intelligence" and especially "consciousness" comes from the complex interaction of different systems within our bodies, your hearing has to work together with your sight, touch, smell etc. you see an object, then you touch/feel it and hear what kind of sound it makes when you tap on it, all these come together create a profile for that object that was never before possible.

I think a true artificial intelligence is possible, the smartness of it will depend on how much it knows and understands, making a baby vs adult comparison, you don't think babies are smart, but they're human, same thing can be true for the artificial mind, after the initial step is taken, it should be able to develop into something powerful

EDIT: i will eventually start an artificial intelligence thread, to summarize all great points brought up by people
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FK

avatar

Posts : 167
Join date : 2009-02-23

PostSubject: Re: Welcome to Martin's LAIR!   Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:55 pm

People are stupid
Back to top Go down
View user profile
triforcelink

avatar

Posts : 212
Join date : 2009-02-23
Location : New York

PostSubject: Re: Welcome to Martin's LAIR!   Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:16 pm

FK wrote:
People are stupid

thank you for your great input sir!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FK

avatar

Posts : 167
Join date : 2009-02-23

PostSubject: Re: Welcome to Martin's LAIR!   Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:19 pm

triforcelink wrote:
thank you for your great input sir!
I try
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FK

avatar

Posts : 167
Join date : 2009-02-23

PostSubject: Re: Welcome to Martin's LAIR!   Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:25 pm

Quote :
MaDingSun says: (4:13:28 PM)
r u going out to get food, and if you are, will you by driving by my house?
I'm calling you lazy in your lair
Back to top Go down
View user profile
triforcelink

avatar

Posts : 212
Join date : 2009-02-23
Location : New York

PostSubject: Re: Welcome to Martin's LAIR!   Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:31 pm

FK wrote:
Quote :
MaDingSun says: (4:13:28 PM)
r u going out to get food, and if you are, will you by driving by my house?
I'm calling you lazy in your lair

yea? so? i know i got some laziness floating around me...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
doowop

avatar

Posts : 22
Join date : 2009-02-23
Age : 33

PostSubject: Re: Welcome to Martin's LAIR!   Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:07 pm

The menu at the Martin Buffet:

http://thisiswhyyourefat.com/
Back to top Go down
View user profile
triforcelink

avatar

Posts : 212
Join date : 2009-02-23
Location : New York

PostSubject: Re: Welcome to Martin's LAIR!   Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:30 am

doowop wrote:
The menu at the Martin Buffet:

http://thisiswhyyourefat.com/

LOL @ the chocolate covered bacon!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FK

avatar

Posts : 167
Join date : 2009-02-23

PostSubject: Re: Welcome to Martin's LAIR!   Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:28 pm

Snow sucks, /discuss
Back to top Go down
View user profile
triforcelink

avatar

Posts : 212
Join date : 2009-02-23
Location : New York

PostSubject: Re: Welcome to Martin's LAIR!   Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:00 pm

FK wrote:
Snow sucks, /discuss

i disagree, i got a good workout from all the shoveling , and i have fun driving in snow (short distances)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FK

avatar

Posts : 167
Join date : 2009-02-23

PostSubject: Re: Welcome to Martin's LAIR!   Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:38 pm

I woke up at 4, didn't have to shovel Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
triforcelink

avatar

Posts : 212
Join date : 2009-02-23
Location : New York

PostSubject: Re: Welcome to Martin's LAIR!   Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:05 pm

FK wrote:
I woke up at 4, didn't have to shovel Smile

you lost the opportunity to get that much stronger....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
triforcelink

avatar

Posts : 212
Join date : 2009-02-23
Location : New York

PostSubject: Re: Welcome to Martin's LAIR!   Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:09 pm

bagels anyone?

this is what my mom's connections got us.

two bags and a freezer full of bagels

this is from a bakery, they usually have extra stuff left over, so instead of throwing it out, they sometimes give it away. (i cant believe they would throw all this food out...)

_________________

Got Enough Peach Yet???
Back to top Go down
View user profile
triforcelink

avatar

Posts : 212
Join date : 2009-02-23
Location : New York

PostSubject: Re: Welcome to Martin's LAIR!   Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:42 pm

my posts are DOMINATING!


_________________

Got Enough Peach Yet???
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Eli
Admin
avatar

Posts : 88
Join date : 2008-11-29
Age : 30
Location : New York

PostSubject: Re: Welcome to Martin's LAIR!   Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:00 pm



GET RAPED BITCH

_________________
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://thelostuniverse.forumotion.net
triforcelink

avatar

Posts : 212
Join date : 2009-02-23
Location : New York

PostSubject: Re: Welcome to Martin's LAIR!   Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:17 pm

Eli wrote:
GET RAPED BITCH
yea, your one post is getting raped, its more like a gang-bang

_________________

Got Enough Peach Yet???
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FK

avatar

Posts : 167
Join date : 2009-02-23

PostSubject: Re: Welcome to Martin's LAIR!   Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:27 pm

Posting to end a chain

_________________
Back to top Go down
View user profile
triforcelink

avatar

Posts : 212
Join date : 2009-02-23
Location : New York

PostSubject: Re: Welcome to Martin's LAIR!   Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:40 pm

I came up with some ideas about what i can write about study
How GOD will fall
Why there will ALWAYS be starvation in the world
Why we really are alone(in the universe)
How cloning and teleportation could work
What the internet of the future be like
Why laws are useless
What is REALLY right

_________________

Got Enough Peach Yet???
Back to top Go down
View user profile
triforcelink

avatar

Posts : 212
Join date : 2009-02-23
Location : New York

PostSubject: The meaning of life   Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:43 am

MaDingSun says:
people decide what the meaning of their lives is
Msammi says:
so there is no certain meaning for the life
MaDingSun says:
nope
you're free to interpret the meaning of your life
Msammi says:
eating and sleeping
MaDingSun says:
well, if you didn't eat or sleep then you might not have your life
something that gives life or sustains it, does not give it meaning, maybe the giver can tell it what the meaning is, but that life has to still decide what its meaning is

_________________

Got Enough Peach Yet???
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Eli
Admin
avatar

Posts : 88
Join date : 2008-11-29
Age : 30
Location : New York

PostSubject: Re: Welcome to Martin's LAIR!   Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:40 pm

If you need some help with some of these topics I might be able to take a few off your hands, give my opinion, and we go back and forth. You know, to get you started.

_________________
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://thelostuniverse.forumotion.net
Eli
Admin
avatar

Posts : 88
Join date : 2008-11-29
Age : 30
Location : New York

PostSubject: Re: Welcome to Martin's LAIR!   Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:45 pm

OH BTW:



GET RAPED SIR

_________________
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://thelostuniverse.forumotion.net
triforcelink

avatar

Posts : 212
Join date : 2009-02-23
Location : New York

PostSubject: Re: Welcome to Martin's LAIR!   Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:07 pm

Eli wrote:
OH BTW:



GET RAPED SIR

QUIT

_________________

Got Enough Peach Yet???
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FK

avatar

Posts : 167
Join date : 2009-02-23

PostSubject: Re: Welcome to Martin's LAIR!   Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:22 pm

WTF is ? I know it's your doing

_________________
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Welcome to Martin's LAIR!   

Back to top Go down
 
Welcome to Martin's LAIR!
Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Lost Universe :: Random :: It's ALL about ME-
Jump to: